Sunday, January 17, 2016

Zucchini Chutney




Zucchini Chutney



zucchiniZucchini chutney ! Yep..you heard it right ! You will never know there is zucchini in it, unless you tell them.One lazy sunday morning I was planning to make Onion chutney with Vendhaya Dosai.
Little did I realise I was out of onions.I wanted to make something spicy and light like onion chutney.
When I was in my morning yoga (yes during my yoga..I am at my creative best during my yoga :)))) )
I realised zucchini would be a good choice for chutney.

And that's how zucchini chutney was created ;) It is very simple to make,feels very light to eat and you could eat it just out of the mixie. It doesn't have the raw smell, which I thought it would at first.
Actually zucchini has no flavor on its own.It just picks up any flavor you add to it.Feel free to throw in garlic/tomato/onion/coconut with it.Get creative..Play around with your ingredients a bit.

I am sure it will be equally delicious.Now the best part is, my kids ate it nicely with the vendhaya dosai.They are very picky eaters.I was totally surprised when they didn't complain about it.

Now to the recipe...

2 zucchini, peeled and chopped to big chunks
6 dry red chillies
1/4 tsp of tamarind or small piece of tamarind
salt to taste

To temper
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp urad dhal
1 tbsp oil

Wash and peel the zucchini.Trim the ends.Cut it into fairly big chunks and throw in the mixie.
Add the red chillies.You could add more or less depending upon your spice level.Mine would be medium spicy.
Throw in the tamarind and salt.
Grind to a smooth consistency.Check for salt.
In a hot pan,add oil and when it is hot, add mustard seeds.Once it splutters, add urad dhal and pour the freshly ground zucchini chutney in.
When it starts bubbling, switch off the stove.


Your zucchini chutney is ready !! Enjoy it with dosai or steaming idli !!


vendhaya dosai with Zucchini chutney

No comments:

Post a Comment